Wedding Day Bliss

Wedding Day Bliss

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

You Are My Sunshine

When I found out I was pregnant I read EVERY piece of literature about tips for a successful pregnancy I could get my hands on. I read books, blogs, magazines, and random websites. I found quite a few recommendations that said to sing a particular song to your baby while in utero. The theory being that the baby (after being born) would recognize the song and it would have a soothing effect on him/her. So early on I chose the song You Are My Sunshine or rather it chose me. I've never particularly enjoyed the song but for some reason that's the one that came to me in the shower every morning. So I sang that one verse song to my Max over and over again while he was still in my belly, hoping that it would produce the desired effects in the future. I kind of got tired of singing that same verse but I had chosen that song and I stuck with it. After Maxton was born I sang it to him often. I couldn't ever tell if he actually recognized that exact tune or if he just enjoyed his Mommy's singing. :) While at my Grandma's house one afternoon I learned that the song actually had more to it. I tried remembering the second part but I never quite mastered it and had to call G-ma a few times to re-learn the new words. When Maxton went to the hospital I tried to sing this song to him hoping that maybe the tune would cause something to fire in his beautiful head. I was really having trouble with the words and out of nowhere one of the awesome nurses brought me a copy of the WHOLE entire song. It turns out that the part I was singing was the "chorus" and there were over five versus.
I had always thought that song was a little strange but at the hospital while I was singing it to my son I realized there had to be a reason this song was the one I chose from the beginning. If you don't understand you will in a second. Here are a few of the words:

You are my Sunshine
My only Sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my Sunshine away.

The other night, dear,
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I help you in my arms.
When I awoke, dear,
I was mistaken
And I hung my head down and cried.

Above are the two parts of the song that I regularly sang to Max. The following parts are ones that I learned at the hospital. And while they are about a man and his lover they seemed to somehow fit the situation between my baby and me. I know that Maxton didn't have a choice in leaving but I can't help but to think that maybe he sometimes wishes he could of stayed with his Mommy at least a little bit longer.

I'll always love you
And make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me
To love another
You'll regret it all some day.

You told me once, dear,
You really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me
And love another
You have shattered all my dreams.



Mr. Max will always be this Mommy's Only Sunshine! :)


2 comments:

  1. I can't say that I know what your going thru, can't even begin to imagine. BUT, I know God is good and in all these trouble times he is carries you!
    I'm glad to see that you decided to blog. I think talking or in this case typing, really helps.
    I pray for Kevin and you often asking God to bring peact to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, thanks so much for sharing. I think its amazing how when pick things to represent something not totally understanding at the time whtat the real meaning is behind it. However, within time we realize why such as you picking the song for Max. You are remarkably strong women and I know that Max wishes he could have stayed with his mommy longer!

    Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete